View Single Post
Old 17th May 2012, 4:28 pm   #62
Miguel Lopez
Heptode

Default Re: Building an oscilloscope at home

Thanks to all of you for your kind words. I hope to be able to go on with this project until the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by val33vo
but why would anyone contemplate building their own scope? If you go to any ham jumble sale you will find they are virtually being given away free
Reading this I understand that you know absolutely nothing about Cuba.

To buy a scope? With what budget?. Let me tell you as an example that in my enterprise we still use scopes from the Soviet era. Scopes are not sold in the shops here. Even if they would be sold, they would be beyond my financial reach. A scope can cost the equivalent to the salary of six month of work here, and I'm talking about a used scope from the Soviet era. If you want a modern oscilloscope (analog, not digital) it will cost more than the money I will earn in my entire life. My Soviet C1-94 is almost dying, and I need a replacement. I can not buy it, so why not to build it.
For further questions and/or explanation about this situation, please PM only.

On the other hand, you should experiment the feeling to build something with your own hands, skills, and knowledge. It is a great joy when at the end of the road you can say: Damn, I did it !!!!!

And definitively, I will learn a lot of new things doing this.