View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2019, 10:51 am   #12
Luxman1050
Octode

Default Re: Philips 170A restoration

Thanks for input guys.
Al nothing new to learn here what I said is grammatically incorrect "voltage regulator" I made it sound like it has say a variac fitted to it. On the rear of the unit right next to the transformer from the Limited pictures I've been able to find shows some sort of dial circular in shape with wires from the transformer linked direct to this maybe a dial with wipers on it where you select mains input voltage going into the unit in other words a tap.

I hope this has cleared up your confusion as to what I originally said?

I think I'm lucky as it has all the original valves which as previously stated work fine the EM34 is a bit dull but I've put that down to the resistors being out of spec. What was interesting is on spec sheet they are 820k resistors but on mullard valve sheet they are 1meg. So I've whacked two of them in instead. Hopefully that should brighten it up. Could be wrong.

I might have a go at converting one of these EBF1s seems to be a good challenge.
Any ideas on how to re glue a top cap on a valve as one of mine is a bit loose. I think super glue will melt I do have metal epoxy resin but don't think that will connect to the glass. I do have some wax but I think it will end up looking like a candle ha.

Anyone got a spec sheet with voltages on it? The one I have does not the trader sheet.

Just think which always amazes me this radio is 73 years old and still works.

Cheers Chris