View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2019, 2:20 pm   #1
jascha
Hexode

Default Tandberg Series 15. No sound on playback position. help please

Hi everyone,

I recently was given a Tandbery S15 2 Track as a gift to add to my collection and it needed some TLC as it was all gummed up, but after some lubrication it got going.

I decided to do a recap job on it as it has the old Frako and Rifa electrolytics however I seem to have run into trouble as after replacing 3 caps I lost the playback sound. The machine was playing fine before the recap job has started. To those that know the insides of the machine, they are aware that the slider switch mechanism (Rec-Playback-Amp) needs to be removed from one end in order for the upper board (pre-amp) to come out. This is the only board that i had started work on and believe has an issue now.

I decided to put back the 3 old caps anyway but still i get no sound from the playback position. In the Amplifier mode, I can playback a source I input via the radio input jack.

I have a suspicion that something is not quite right with the slider switch mentioned above and although i have cleaned it, i cannot get any sound from tape. Clearly the head is fine and I guess everything else should be fine too since it played before i started restoration. I would like to know if these switches are really a problem and if by chance there might be some copper tracks that could have been compromised during removal/cleaning of the slider switch contacts. The level of hiss between the amp and playback positions are quite significant. unfortunately there seems to be no image of the small slider switch contacts on the service manual for me to compare with.

Any thoughts please would be most gratefully received as i would love to get it going again.

Thanks