View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2016, 11:45 pm   #74
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: Old torches - anyone here collect them?

The modern mag-lites said a similar thing, free repair if you'd used certain brands of battery and they'd leaked. (possibly Duracell and Energiser, I forget). Trouble was, mine had leaked and I couldnt remember what was in there because they'd jammed solid! In the end my brother drilled it all out for me.
We had one of those 60's ever ready all-rubber torches (rubber clad) with seperate push on and off buttons. That rotted so badly that only the rubber was left and it all just fell apart in a powdery mess.

Owning a decent torch seems to be a new 'thing' with this advent of ultra bright LEDs. I remember making trips to the camping shops as a child and buying a 2-cell ever-ready, vidor or pifco torch was quite an event for a child and very exciting.
One day when I was a kid I found a corroded Pifco with one of those red flashing lights on top. I cleaned it all up and got it working with a new flasher bulb from the petrol station and spend hours just letting it flash while I stared at it in wonder. How we were easily entertained!