View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2018, 5:26 pm   #51
nebogipfel
Pentode

Default Re: Changing the BVWS

Not a member but I looked in quite a while ago and again recently and it's fair to say that it doesn't change much.

I do agree with Lawrence, it's not much of an invitation and I really don't think changing the name will change the number of new members.

I have commented previously regarding the ambiguous statement about what the membership pack consists of. Does it include all the items listed as free to members?

I note the sample edition of The Bulletin is still from 2008. Has it not changed in the last decade?

I agree with others who say that young people do not relate to old Valve technology. It's much the same in the classic car world. Interest in prewar cars is diminishing and younger folk (if they attend) are bringing along what I consider to be modern cars.

It's also true that modern tech' and modern cars are not "tinkered" with in the same way as we used to when we were that age. Also, young people have grown up to throw things away rather than fix them. They want the latest thing, not obsolete tech'. If something stops working you bin it and get something shiny and new.

It's a changing world populated with people with a very different mindset.
I hope the BVWS survives and indeed all the prewar car clubs too, but I can't see them growing I'm afraid, especially as we oldies fall off the perch.