View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2018, 11:03 pm   #25
ajgriff
Nonode

Default Re: Changing the BVWS

I'm firmly of the view that there will always be people of all ages who enjoy taking things apart, figuring out why things have gone wrong and sometimes reconstructing said things. Humans are naturally inquisitive and gain huge pleasure from problem solving. For these reasons there will always be an interest in our kind of hobby. The exact subject matter will continue to evolve and if anything will broaden as technology itself evolves.

It is educational to simply review some of the equipment recently discussed on this forum. I suspect that there are few other places containing so much information about such a wide variety of technology covering a period of around a hundred years. This is in no small part due to the way the forum has been managed and moderated. However, the most obvious reason for the forum's success is that it embraces the current willingness of humanity to take advantage of what the Internet has to offer.

Sadly there are many long established clubs and societies, covering a wide range of interests, which have failed to move with the times and are rapidly becoming moribund. Name changes are not the answer as many a corporate entity has found to its cost over the years. A more radical approach is needed.

Why not consider merging UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration with BVWS? I'll not add further comment at this juncture but will just fetch my tin hat.

As a final thought, I'd propose changing this forum's name to Vintage Technology Repair and Restoration!

Alan