View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2018, 6:31 pm   #33
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Tesla MH74S571 programming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgedb View Post
No, I bought it for EUR 55,= 2 years ago (and still am searching for a good solution for the keyboard (and the goal is to keep it as original as possible).
You... lucky.... ~@~!!

Do you realise how much original MK14s can go for nowadays? Even two years ago it was not unusual for examples which were physically poor / not even working to go for upwards of £400-£500. Better examples with a working, original keypad, a nice manual and one or two of the optional boards were sometimes fetching about £900 or more.

I think the emergence of all these replicas recently will actually devalue the original machines somewhat because before, people had no choice, if they wanted one they had to buy one of the original machines which tended to come up relatively infrequently. Now, they can have the experience of owning a machine in pristine new-build condition for less money, if they don't have their heart set on owning an original machine.

As regards the keypad, I would have thought that just buying one of Martin's keypad overlays and some suitable calculator-type switch domes would get you quite close to one of the original versions of the MK14 keypad which went through several incarnations, but be careful what you wish for: I don't think any of the several keypad designs which SOC went through were considered satisfactory by their owners. The early 'Rubber Mat' version fitted to my issue II was especially dreadful.

Later issues of the MK14 (including issue V of course) provide for an alternative, the fitting of actual switches of a similar type to the one used for the reset switch or anything else which would fit in the holes.

Anyone know how to get a Czech on-screen keyboard on their Windows computer?

Last edited by SiriusHardware; 13th Jul 2018 at 6:37 pm.