Thread: End of an era.
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2018, 6:20 pm   #68
evingar
Octode

Default Re: End of an era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
I'd expected the TV repair trade to diversify out into fixing black boxes for cars. The same skills are needed and the things cost the price of one-to-several colour tellies. Garages just swap them and oh dear, it wasn't that one, so they swap another one. The customer doesn't get a refund for the previous ones, the customer just has to keep on paying.

I suppose it's liability issues which have scared everyone off.

As for that branch of blacksmithing, I'd die laughing! Do I now have to worry that anyone who sees the anvil in my garage might jump to embarrassing conclusions? Fortunately I can't imagine a parallel path for ex-TV repairers.

David

There are niches though.
Someone I know did quite well out of fixing boxes that controlled the central locking and other peripheral areas, of a certain vintage of BMW's. The fault was invariably the same - soggy relays. Problem is the market is very transparent and others soon got in the act using everyone's favourite auction site.

Such activities also have a "window of opportunity" (too new and the cars don't fail, too old and they get scrapped out of the market), so you need to keep finding risk free and easy bits of cars to fix - not easy !

Last edited by evingar; 4th Mar 2018 at 6:29 pm.