View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2017, 11:14 pm   #10
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Mk128 Radio Value?

In 1978 - 80, when I live in Rotherham, a firm called A.H Supplies at Darnall, Sheffield, sold both the receivers and transmitters for £8.00 each - £15.00 the pair. I bought a couple of the receivers, which were neat little things and performed well enough. He had a lot of them and as I recall, they didn't fly off the shelves. I don't think back then that there was as much interest is military stuff as now. I later sold them at Elvaston Castle rally for about a tenner each when I had a clear out.

I may be wrong - it's not an area that interests me, but I think they were post WWII - 1960s even, using B7G valves. Not clandestine, just rather cumbersome portable rigs for short range use. Unless my timing is out, I'm rather surprised that the military was still using valves long after transistors appeared on the scene.

If my memory serves me right, I think the RX covered 3.5 and 7 MHz, which. Made them useful and usable.

Amazing how things accumulate in value over time. I guess that once they're in the hands of collectors, few want to dispose of them, and perversely, the higher they go in value, the more that owners see them as an accumulating investment to be hung onto.

Sounds like if you stick it on e-bay, you'll be pleasantly surprised Peter. I can see someone or another blowing their Winter Fuel payment and Christmas bonus on it - nostalgia will always triumph over common sense!