View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2018, 4:01 am   #11
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: Testing unknown transistors for max frequency response

You could make a generalised test circuit to determine the transistion frequency.

However, since you already know the circuit you want to use the transistors in, a 10.7MHz IF, one quick way to solve your problem is to set up the transistor as a single 10.7MHz IF amplifier stage with a 10.7MHz IF transformer.

Connect the transformer secondary into a detector diode (low capacitance germanium or schottky type) feeding a 1Meg resistor and a parallel 0.01uF filter cap. THe diode gets around the capacitive loading issue.

Couple into the transistor's base circuit from a generator with a low value cap like 10 to 50pF. Adjust the 10.7MHz generator for about 300mV to 500mV output from the detector when the transformer is peaked on 10.7MHz

Measure the DC developed across the detector output on a high impedance meter or scope.

A single tuned stage like this can easily have 30dB or more gain , but it is very very sensitive to transistor parameters such as the Ft and hfe and collector to base feedback capacity, which, in conjunction with the relatively low input coupling capacitance creates a divider which will result in much lower signal outputs for transistors with high range C-B feedback capacitance, compared to a known good for the application "reference transistor"

Use a reference known good transistor for this 10.7MHz application , an AF127 would be fine.

You will soon find out by substitution if any of your unmarked transistors are suited to the task like a 10.7MHz IF. If any are like OC45's you'll get no output and if others , like say AF178 , have lower C-B feedback capacity you will find the output is higher and gets even better with a small tweak of the transformer tuning.

I have tested dozens of unmarked germaniums in similar test setups and I regret to report that many are poor even when the test jig is for a 455kHz IF.

So I suspect you won't find many that are much chop at 10.7MHz , but I could be wrong depending on what parts you have. But you will see right away if you build such a test jig for IF amplifier transistors, it's very easy to tell which ones are suited.

Of course if you set up a test IF stage with a 10.7MHz resonant circuit in the collector and the base, right away you could eliminate all the transistors with high C-B capacitance as the stage would be unstable and oscillate.

Last edited by Argus25; 9th Mar 2018 at 4:09 am.