View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2019, 8:25 pm   #18
Riccardo Grillo
Triode

Default Re: Two DSL filters, two 706 phones, bell tinkle

Tim,

Yes, already had one apart and seen that the ADSL goes straight through. Sadly, when (a year ago) the Openreach technician came to fit the new master socket, he offered me a choice of filtered and unfiltered and told me that the filtered version would have meant that if I did not want my router close to the master socket, I would have to have a patch lead plugged into it - no way of extending in his experience. Obviously this is wrong - you could just connect to the AB connectors where the incoming line comes in (you probably aren't really supposed to, but I doubt anyone would much care), but the extension terminals were all filtered, allegedly. In fairness, if you aren't supposed to connect to the AB incoming terminals, the Openreach chap would hardly suggest it. Not that I would - the terminals on the 5C are so bad I'd probably damage them the same way as I damaged the extension terminals.

It doesn't help when the BT website even shows a router connected via a filter with no phone installed at that socket. Only point of it is that it acts as an RJ11 to BT plug adapter.

If you see my previous post (we've come a long way since my opening post), you'll see that I now have the hub exactly where I wanted it and that I have run an ADSL only extension (albeit I made my own filtered faceplate as I was in that kind of mood).

Not quite sure how using the filters would increase REN. Could you elaborate please? Originally, each phone was plugged in via an individual filter and thus not using the master socket's ringing capacitor at all.

My feeling is that ringing capacitors that have no bell connected to them will draw no current (or, in the case of a master socket, they will only be able to pass current through the 470k test resistor and so the loss would be insignificant). Please do correct my understanding if it is wrong - it may well be.

Now I've finished, there is one filter for the whole installation and the only ringing capacitor in use is the one in my internal (not Openreach) master socket. Obviously the ringing capacitor in the Openreach socket isn't mine to remove.

I did actually remove the ringing capacitor from the filter, just to make the circuit board smaller and easier to fit behind the faceplate.