View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2017, 4:17 pm   #6
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Ekco radio stand for round radios

If you make a stand for a round Ekco, you might need to learn the dark art or re-building smashed Bakelite cabinets! Given that the top is 9 inches deep, the bottom is 13 inches deep and the stand is 26 inches high, having drawn a quick sketch, the angle of the legs is just 93ยบ - 3 degrees out of vertical, and given the weight of round Ekcos, I think the stand with a set on it would be rather top heavy, but of course, it depends on where the set is sited, whether it's on a carpeted floor, and whether there are any children or boisterous dogs around.

I guess that the only way of really knowing how stable a stand would be, would be to build one and plonk a set on it.

They also made wooden stands for the Ekco AD65 - a large, heavy oblong set. I've attached a not very good illustration of one. I think the slender rails of the stand make the set look bulky, ungainly and top heavy and I don't find it pleasing to the eye, but others may have a contrary view, which is fine.

I don't think that the 'arched' feet of the A22 lend themselves to an elegant stand in quite the same way as other round Ekcos would do. As I recall, the sets rest on a 'cradle' contoured to the cabinet, rather than 'standing on a shelf', but I could be wrong - it was 2009 when I looked into, but abandoned the idea of building one for my A22.

Someone will know!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EKCO AD65 ON WOODEN STAND.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	149183   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ekco A22 front view.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	149184