View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2011, 7:17 pm   #6
Mr Moose
Octode

Default Re: Radio identity please.

Hello,

Assuming the set has five triodes and not a screen-grid valve, then it would normally have a tuned frame aerial, followed by two untuned high frequency stages (high frequency chokes in the anodes and resistance-capacity coupling) so you don't need any other coils. (Just two HF chokes that you could wind yourself)
The high frequency stages would be resistance capacity coupled to a detector stage with reaction.
The detector would be transformer coupled to a low frequency amplifier stage which in turn would be transformer coupled to the output stage.

You could dispense with one or both of the high frequency stages or even dispense with the LF stage as well to simplify matters.

I have found a typical circuit in a book, which I will scan for you but I don't have my scanner with me at present.

A differential reaction condenser has two sets of fixed vanes and one set of moving vanes that move out of one set of fixed vanes into the other. You can usually adapt the circuit to use a normal condenser if you can't get one. Many circuits including the one I have use a normal reaction condenser.

Yours, Richard

Last edited by Mr Moose; 1st Oct 2011 at 7:40 pm.