View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2021, 7:05 pm   #10
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Default Re: Metal Bashing: Uher Miniline 220V Bucking Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
I might have missed seeing it, but is there a fuse?
If one is fitted then there is an interesting question concerning where it should go and what rating it should be. Personally I'd fit a fuse in the incoming mains wiring, suitably rated to protect the bucking transformer secondary from an over-current fault.

This might well not disconnect the transformer primary, though, in the event of a fault within it (the primary). A lower-rated fuse could be added, just in series with the primary, to give that protection. But then the consequences of that fuse opening would have to be considered. Now the secondary would essentially become an inductor, perhaps with a reactance high enough that a lot more than 10VAC appears across it. Transformer action would result in a very high voltage appearing across the primary. What harm might that do ? Is the small primary fuse actually likely to do more harm than good ?

I'm not sure there's a simple solution to this problem with the bucking transformer scheme. I've just realised though that any discussion of it might not really belong in a thread about metal-bashing ...

Cheers,

GJ