Old 7th Mar 2019, 4:17 pm   #125
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: I hate Steampunk AVOs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgriff View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post

I've just had a trip down memory lane, looking at the front covers of five decades of PWs before taking them to the tip .......
Why not offer them in the appropriate forum section David? It seems a shame to tip them. Perhaps it's too late or maybe you've already tried to give them away.

Alan
There's little interest in old radio magazines these days Alan, and little enough interest in homebrew - these have been back and forth to several radio rallies with no interest. I took quite a few to Golborne to put on the B&B for donations to the Museum, but if stuff doesn't sell, (and they didn't), you have to bring them back. What tends to happen if they're offered on the forum is several requests for odd issues which are missing from forum members' collections, such as:

"I need August 1978, April, July, and Sept 1980 and March & October 1992" so you have to sift through several hundred magazines to extract them, pack them, go to the Post Office to check the postage etc. Or because of the weight, requests for whole years, then result in attempts to get other forum members to collect them from me to get them to Bristol or wherever. It becomes a very time consuming logistical nightmare.

Most of the magazines, though perhaps of passing interest, feature articles which require transistors, ICs and coils (Denco/Osmor/Weyrad/Electroniques etc) that have long since become obsolete. Other designs - for example test gear such as capacitance meters, LCR bridges, transistor testers and the like, though perfectly practical to build from everyday components, have long since been overtaken by events, given that digital LCR/transistor testers can be had for a tenner from China.

As to Practical Wireless the marvellous American Radio History archive has almost the complete set from its inception in 1932 up to 1999:

https://www.americanradiohistory.com...s_Magazine.htm

I don't have any beyond 2000 as ceased to be 'practical' or about wireless - it morphed into a ham radio mag with little technical content, so of no interest to me.

Similarly, there is a complete archive of Radio Constructor from its inception on 1947 to its cessation in 1981:

https://www.americanradiohistory.com...r_Magazine.htm

Likewise, Short Wave Magazine is almost a complete run from 1946 - 1998:

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Short_Wave_UK.htm

As others who have discarded old magazines (in my case going back to 1954) will attest, it's quite a wistful experience, which is why we tend to avoid the task, put them in the loft and forget about them, but I've got my sensible head on today, so the deed is done! Really quite scary to see the articles on the PW Purbeck 'scope that I built back in 1978. Can it really be 41 years ago that I built it? It seems like last week.