Thread: Ekco AD65.
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2013, 9:14 pm   #14
Station X

Default Re: Ekco AD65.

An update on progress so far.

Cleaned the chassis using kitchen roll and cotton bubs moistened in water. Stubborn grease and wax spots were removed using white spirit. The chassis showed some signs of rust, but not enough to justify repainting it.

The resistance wire on two sections of the dropper resistor had come unravelled. The sections were carefully rewound and the ends reterminated using high melting point solder.

Replaced the capacitors in the mains filter with class Y2 types.

Several "modern" electrolytic cpacitors which had been soldered directly to valveholders etc. were removed.

The smoothing capacitor block and two cardboard cased electrolytic capacitors were restuffed. A helpful forum member produced artwork for the labels for the restuffed tubular types.

All the components on the "tag strip" were replaced with the exception of the flat wirewound resistor, which tested OK. The set is built around this tag strip and I do not want to have to revisit it in the future.

All waxed paper dielectric capacitors were replaced along with all out of spec resistors.

Reterminated or replaced the wiring to the mains switch, mains filter, rectifier, dropper resistor, speaker energising coil and output transformer.

Carefully checked the wiring, accounting for every wire on every tag.

Measured the resistance between various tags and compared the readings with the expected values.

Checked the scale illumination lamp for continuity.

Reattached one of the valve cap sockets which had become become detached from its wire.

Cleaned the tarnish off all the valve pins and valve holder sockets using Servisiol. Some valve holder sockets were "nipped up" as they did not grip the valve pins very well.

Gave the wave change switch a squirt of Servisol and worked it to and fro a few times.

Stuck the valve cap back on to the output valve using Araldite Precision Adhesive. There was enough wire protruding from the top of the valve to allow it to be resoldered.

Tested the valves on my AVO CT160. All were OK apart from the VP1321 which showed low emmission.

At this stage I felt confident enough to apply the full mains voltage. Lacking the correct power connector, I just soldered the mains lead conductors directly to the pins on the back of the set. Six feet of old mains conductor was used as an aerial. I did not connect a signal earth.

I was amazed that the set worked first time. A full complement of English, French and German stations on Long Wave, but BBC R4 was at a lower volume than the other stations. Classic Gold and BBC R5 Live received at good volume on Medium Wave.

I checked voltages and compared them with the service sheet. All were OK except for the screen grid of the VP1321. This should vary between 115V and 145V depending on the setting of the volume control. It actually measured 145V to 200V. I've put this down to the low emission of the VP1321 and will attempt to source a new one.

There are three problems to sort before I realign the set:-

1. There is a Paxolin?? lug on the wavechange switch wafer which is meant to constrain its rotation. However it is worn and over-rides one of the stops allowing rotation through about 300 degrees. Careful bending of the stop has failed to cure the problem. I'll try extending the stop by soldering a piece of brass to it. Alternatively I may be able to glue a new lug to the wafer.

2. There is a crackling sound from the speaker at the same position of the tuning capacitor on both wavebands. This occurs when the cap is almost fully meshed. I put this down to bent vanes, or debris between the vanes. Unfortunately careful examination under a magnifier has failed to reveal anything.

3. There is a bracket which runs across the face of the speaker and supports the pivot for the illuminated dial pointer. This is either deliberately "dished" by design, or has been accidently bent at some time in the past. Can anyone advise whether this bracket should be straight or dished? Thanks.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.