Thread: Pye CW17
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2020, 5:16 pm   #1
MartinMarris
Tetrode

Default Pye CW17

Greetings,

After several years of mainly "lurking" on this forum I am now the proud owner of a Pye CW17-S. I also have an Aurora 405-line converter.

I admit that I was seduced by the esthetics of the Pye set. It is a design from Robin Day, not the TV personality but the designer. I have some experience restoring 1950s valve equipment -- mainly test gear such as signal generators and VTVMs. Plus have built homebrew ham gear with valve designs from that era.

On the plus side, the set I have purchased has raster (judging from the seller's photos) and is cosmetically in brilliant shape. On the minus side, because of its location, although I have purchased the set I cannot pick it up until Covid restrictions ease off. I am (perhaps optimistically) targeting early next year for the pickup, and the seller has agreed.

Meanwhile, I will track down the schematic and service information. Any advice would be most welcome. I have read several books about the 405-line system and servicing sets from this era, and did in fact coax a couple of these 1950s sets back to life ... as a teen-ager in the 1970s. One of them was a Pye. Otherwise I am a neophyte in these matters.

The photos below are from the seller.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	219097   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (2).jpg
Views:	227
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	219098   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg