View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2020, 12:00 pm   #4
DonaldStott
Octode

Default Re: Restuffing Dual Electrolytic Can Capacitor

Stage 2 - Disassembly of end cap

Once the end cap was cut from the can it was clear that this had been sealed by some form of pitch type material which had set rock hard. This all had to be removed to free the end ring and to get access to the other ring of metal with the tabs used to secure the can to the chassis - used when the capacitor connections lie underneath the chassis. At this stage it was the intention to re-use the Paxolin disc if possible but the tab ring wasn't required and could be discarded.

Took quite some time with a fine metal pick to remove all this material from the end cap:-

Click image for larger version

Name:	DC_7.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	217514 Click image for larger version

Name:	DC_9.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	217515

Eventually I managed to disassemble the end cap to leave us with the three components already mentioned - the end ring, the tab ring and the Paxolin disc with the connectors: -

Name:	DC_10.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	217516

Close examination of the Paxolin disc showed that it was in an advanced state of disintegration and I decided that it probably wouldn't withstand drilling and fitting of new connectors. So that left us with just the can and the end ring: -

Name:	DC_11.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	217517

Although most of the crud had been scraped out from the inside of the can there was still a waxy residue with embedded bits. What I did then was to stand the can upside down on a scrap piece if wood and then used my hot air gun to heat the can and melt the wax which flowed out onto the scrap wood. Any remaining wax residue was removed using cellulose thinners which left us with a nice clean can, ready for the next stages!