View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2017, 11:56 pm   #1
1100 man
Octode

Default My Thorn 2000 back after 34 years!

Good evening,
Time for a little story
When I was a kid of 10 years old, I met another lad called Mark at our local Cub pack. I soon found he had similar interests to me and we spent all our spare time scavenging for old junk- TV's, record players, radio grams, electrical switch gear, fluorescent light fittings etc. TV's were always my main passion, and colour ones were the holy grail! They were not that easy to come by in the early '80's, at least, they didn't come our way very often
At some point, a Marconiphone 19" set fitted with the BRC 2000 chassis appeared: I would have been about 16 by this time. I remember getting it to work pretty well and Mark used it in his bedroom for a while. At some point when it was no longer required, it was shoved into an outbuilding and forgotten about.
I still see Mark form time to time, and he told me that the buildings were being cleared and that the TV still existed!
Anyway, this afternoon, he appeared with it in the back of his van, so now, at the age of 50, I've got a TV back that I last saw when I was 16 How cool is that!!
It's suffered a few knocks and the tuning buttons have been bashed in, but inside it's in remarkably good condition. Ever efficient, there is a label inside with my name on which says 'repaired 15 August 1983' which would have been just after my 16th birthday.
It appears I must have had problems with the UHF tuner as the original tuner board is missing and there is a Philips ELC1043 on a pcb which looks like it's come from a PYE TV. It's hanging on a nail banged into the inside of the cabinet What a bodger!!
All the PCB's are liberally sprinkled with Callins capacitors, and just the sheer amount of components is amazing so getting this working well is going to be a real challenge!!
I assume this would date to about 1969/70? Does anyone know what the purchase price would have been then?
Also some internal pictures showing the missing tuner board would be really useful so I can start my search for one.
I'm really chuffed to have this item from my past back again, but it will have to wait it's turn in the queue- a certain Pilot 'spacemaker tv' is still taking my odd moments of spare time.
Cheers Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0360.jpg
Views:	1161
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	141484   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0361.jpg
Views:	979
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	141485   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0362.jpg