View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2019, 11:21 pm   #19
1100 man
Octode

Default Re: My Thorn 2000 back after 34 years!

Oh this is so naughty! When this set came back to me a couple of years ago, I knew it was going to be a major restoration project, so I decided to be strict and hide it away until some of the current projects (especially those for other people) had been finished.

The only thing I was planning to do was to keep a look out for a complete multiband tuner assembly.

Then, recently, Greg Simons acquired a basket case 2000 from member Welsh Anorak.

Interest rekindled.

He then very kindly sent me the entire tuner assembly (complete with a good coating of Welsh mud- courtesy of Glyn!)

Oh so tempting, but must resist the urge...

He then wanted photographs of the Chroma board, so that meant digging the TV out and taking the back off.

Aah Just replace the back and pretend it's not there....

And then, a couple of nights ago, desire got the better of me, the workbench was cleared (sorry Jon, your radio has got relegated again), and the 2000 was lugged in from the other room.

It's very big and exceedingly heavy, so it's not going to be moved again, so I'm just going to have to 'set to' and renovate it!

Don't forget I last worked on this very set when I was a lad of 16. I'm now 52 so a good few years have passed!

The first thing that strikes me is just the insane amount of stuff that there is in there- this was, after all, a domestic TV receiver, and to release something this complex to the general public was either very brave or very foolish!

I had a quick scan through the service manual and totted up the component numbers. There are:

551 resistors,
400 capacitors (and a whole bunch of Callins electrolytics),
91 transistors and
86 diodes,
not to mention the three line output transformers! Not a single IC though, so every single thing is done discretely by transistors!

So endless hours of fun await....

All the best
Nick