Thread: Rubber Paint!
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2017, 5:16 pm   #5
Tractionist
Heptode

Default Re: Rubber Paint!

Post script: The last shot doesn't really display the fact that all the embossed detail is still there unclogged and 'crisp'.

These are neat little sets - this one is dated late 1958 .... and is therefore one of the German responses to the Bush TR82's etc. They feature pretty advanced circuit designs [e.g. intermediate IF transformers] and high quality components coupled with pretty good workmanship. I've worked on a few of these early Nordmende's and never had trouble with the 'Telefunken' germaniums .... yet!

All the electrical/chassis work is now done - and it sounds great and performs beautifully ..... with a very low quiescent. Altho' the set is a third of the size of a TR82 [but weighs no less!] I'm sure this performance is substantially because they used timber cabinets/cases.

Doubtless TR82's were hand-assembled .... but the construction of the Nordmende's [which use a PCB with a brutal trace - as opposed to the hard-wired TR82 pressed aluminium chassis] must have been incredibly labour-intensive i.e. fabricating the timber case / covering the same with leatherette etc. etc.

Finally, this set has one of the 'finest' air-vane variable tuning caps that I've come across in a while ..... with all the potential [actual!] shorting problems that this portends. That said - I seem to have problems with all the Nordmende AM tuning caps that I encounter !!!