View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2019, 4:06 pm   #25
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: Lots of Radio Restoration on YouTube

Watching the vintage computer restorations from 'the 8-bit guy' and 'adrian black' is what motivated me to fix my own commodore. I'm pretty ok knowledge-wise when it comes to vintage radio and tv repairs but it's the motivation that I get from watching restorations or 'resurrections' that I like.

Having been self-employed for some years, it's also nice to keep in touch with other engineers' little wheezes, tricks and cheats which I miss from working as part of a small team. I don't always agree with some of them (eg unplugging the lop valve anode connector with the set operating or the final anode cap) but its all very entertaining.

Another one is 'Curious Droid' who makes little documentaries on science subjects and events.

Electrical contracting-wise I like John Ward, Dave Savery Electrical and CJR Electrical. Nice to keep up with the ever-changing 'IEE' regulations which change so often that it's known as the IET this week, next week who knows.

BigClive of course, not always 100% accurate with his circuit theory but very entertaining and you never know what he's going to pull apart, stick his fingers into, blow up or put in his mouth next.

Mrmattandmrchay who is a vintage lift gear enthusiast and gets to explore old lifts and motor rooms still in use around the UK.

Mikeselectricstuff who has a mixture of dismantling stuff and designing stuff. He's a serious professional design engineer who can pull stuff apart and roll all the chip numbers and functions off the top of his head at a glance and then make a gizmo to reverse-engineer the firmware while narrowly avoiding an exploding fuel cell he smashed apart

I prefer it to the main TV really, after having bought a smart tv. Some of the more professional 'vbloggers' use HD uploads which look great on the box. And it's constantly evolving!