View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2018, 2:26 pm   #1
Tim
Dekatron

Default Dansette Dilemma

Hi all.

I am restoring a Dansette Major for my daughter to play her small but steadily growing vinyl collection.
Cosmetically the condition is quite good, all the electronics seem to work and there is a noise when I scratch the stylus with my finger.
I have a circuit diagram( such as it is) and electronically everything seems to check out.
HT is at about 236 volts, expected levels of hum, and there is about 4 volts across the 100 ohm(106 ohms) cathode resistor indicating the EL84 is drawing the right sort of anode current.

The dilemma is this. Do I replace everything, rectifier the two resistors( I counted them twice!) HT caps etc. for the sake of reliability OR, leave it as it is-seeing as everything seems to be working fine) and fix it if it goes wrong?

I think the cartridge has been replaced, as it is not the original TC8 and I would like to fit a 3 core flex. And lubricate the deck obviously.
I would also like to fit some plastic feet so the machine can be stored on it's side when not in use. Not authentic I know, but they are intended to prevent any further damage to case or fitments.
Full "success story"-although I fear it will be a boring one- in due course.

Opinions please!