View Single Post
Old 25th May 2007, 10:20 pm   #52
Zelandeth
Heptode

Default Re: what was your first computer and do you still have it?

First computer I had of my own was in 1998, a Toshiba T5200/100 portable running Win3.1. 386/11MHz processor, 4 meg of RAM, a standard 3.5" floppy, 100 meg harddrive, and a 640*480 gas plasma display. I got used to seeing windows in black and orange. Lovely machines these - really just a proper PC (even down to the 3.5" harddrive and ISA expansion slots) folded up and crammed into a compact (if heavy) case. Built like a tank too (except for the horrendously fragile display).

Wrote a novel on that, did all my homework on it for a year or so, then it got "traded" for an IBM PS/ValuePoint 433DX/Si. Which I still have to this day. The IBM was the first machine that I got online with in 2001.

Somewhere in the middle there, I discovered Amigas and Acorns...both of which I liked, lots. Hence ending up with several Amiga A1200's, rescuing two Acorn A3000's from the skip at the back of my school when they got thrown out, and most recently getting donated an Acorn A5000...which I've not quite decided what to do with yet. My introduction to the Mac world started even more recently when I discovered a Mac Classic sitting on top of a wheelie bin on the way home one day...needless to say it was grabbed. Works too! Since then I've bought a PowerMac (for the princely sum of £26), which I've really not investigated properly yet.

I have tracked down an old 5200 again, but it's unfortunately suffering from a duff floppy drive - as is my spares machine! So no, I don't still have my first computer...but I do have one of the same model, in better condition (floppy drive excepted), and with all the upgrades I wished mine had at the time.
Zelandeth is offline   Reply With Quote