View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2020, 8:37 pm   #17
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Default Re: Making a Murphy SAD94L happy again!

Cheers for all the comments

I find these types of restoration the most satisfying, there isn't much that can make it look worse, other than dropping the set and breaking it more than it already was! To get the nice shine I only use minimal amounts of wax on a bit of kitchen paper, a tiny bit goes a long way, you don't want so much that you'll be forever getting it on your hands when handling the set. I find that when you have polished the cabinet with Greygate's paste polishing no.5 it still looks a little dull, unless the Bakelite was in really good condition to start with.

Murphy did have some interesting styling, I have a few Murphy bits here, there is a big A98, which I really like, an A100 (well, 2 of them actually!) which are a rather cute little set, looks like it should be a battery portable but isn't, and a V180C 405 line TV, which is also unusually designed, it's not the one with the round chassis, it's just an upright console set, but the sides are in almost black, with odd bits sticking out at the front, it looks like it should have had doors on it, but it never did! The implosion screen is printed on both sides too, the inner surface around the screen is in a light green, while the outer surface has dark green pin stripes with the Murphy logo on it. Quite a rare set, I've only seen 3 including mine!

Regards,
Lloyd.