View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2017, 10:33 pm   #10
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

Default Re: KVN/KVG? 9MHz Crystal Filter Board

Here's my initial attempt at measuring a two port model of the LSB filter. I generated this quick 2 port model with the VNA when the filters arrived last week. Note that it only models the filter over a 20kHz span centred on 9MHz.

To get the forum upload tool to accept the file I've had to rename it from KVGXF9S43.s2p to KVGXF9S43.txt. So once it is downloaded it can be renamed to KVGXF9S43.s2p to make it load into a simulator easily. Hope it uploads OK.

The source and load that the filter sees needs to be the equivalent of about 1000 ohm in parallel with about 24pF to get a good match. See below for a first attempt at a matching network based on this VNA s2p file. Also a computer simulation of the filter once fed with this matching network. It looks like the insertion loss will be about 2.5dB.

You can load this KVGXF9S43.s2p two port model into RFSIM99 and create a matching network for it or try the one posted below in the RFSIM99 image. But the model is only valid over a 20kHz span so RFSIM99 would have to be set up for a 20kHz span

I'll try and find time to create a better two port model over the weekend as I think the stopband performance could be better than that shown in the quick and dirty simulation below. But I'll also build the matching network for real and test it. Note that the inductor used in the matching network will need to be adjustable in order to tune for a good passband response.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KVGmatch9.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	149825   Click image for larger version

Name:	KVGsim.jpg
Views:	786
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	149826   Click image for larger version

Name:	KVGRFSIM99.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	149829  
Attached Files
File Type: txt KVGXF9S43.txt (99.3 KB, 231 views)

Last edited by G0HZU_JMR; 22nd Sep 2017 at 10:57 pm.