View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 6:46 pm   #22
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Default Re: Lamp adapter query.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractorfan View Post
But, is it also illegal because of what it is?
There's a big distinction between British Standards and some regulations, and other regulations like Electricity at Work (1989). The latter has teeth, and prosecutions may result and do so. I'm not saying this as an expert but I had passing familiarity with these sorts of discussions when I worked in an industrial environment a long time ago.

So it's probably overstating things to describe ownership of any domestic object, however it came to be the way it is, as 'illegal' on the basis of its electrical configuration, whatever that may be.

Now, if you mend something for a fee and then the person who commissioned the work, or a third party, is electrocuted through normal use and is injured or dies, then you may be defending a lawsuit, provided the prosecution can prove a) liability and b) causation.

That's why it's a big step to take money for a repair to vintage equipment as a business, rather than saying that it's a hobby for which you cover your costs. That may not be a defence, but there is a clear distinction in terms of what precautions you might choose to take if you were doing such a thing regularly.

It also helps to know these things when you're doing DIY.