View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2020, 9:27 pm   #17
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Default Re: Homebuilt Copy of Ampeg B15 Bass Amplifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's MagicEye View Post
Hello Colin

They sound great, (no pun intended). It would be good to see some photo's.....

I found one of the more problematic issues was getting the corect Tolex and Grille cloth. For the "Ampeg" (maybe following your lead I should have called it "Alpeg"?) I ended up using a Fender type Tolex as the Ampeg blue chequer Tolex was only available in large quantities. Did you find a good source for your supplies, or does it vary from project to project.

Making the logos is also a problem, your method of piercing saw and Formica sounds good. I was lucky making the Perspex, light up "Ampeg" badge which sits in front of the valve cage as I have the luxury of being given a pantograph copying mill, this makes it easy to make such things by copying off from a scaled up paper print. If you need more logo plates, PM me and I may be able to save you a considerable amount of time if the logo is complex but suitable for making by my method, I'm happy to do it gratis.

All the best

Alan
Alan,
Did you have a look at this source?

https://www.cedist.com/products/gril...=Brand%3DAmpeg

They don't just have Ampeg, but others, too. I also think that Weber amps (in the States, unfortunately) have some useful stuff, too:

https://www.tedweber.com/cabinet-covering

My "Earp" and "Mega-Bluesy" were fashioned from other chassis and I made the cabinets myself - they weren't really made to be so much copies as "inspired-bys". I intended to fashion the Fender Deluxe Reverb clone as cheaply as possible, but I decided it might be easier to buy some kit-type parts from Weber after I had a bit more cash to play with. That solved the problem of the cabinet, chassis and circuit-boards. I decided to make a few changes to the original Fender circuits, such as adding some extra controls to the reverb (Tone and Dwell), putting in a Middle control on the Vibrato channel and an overall Presence control. I also decided it might be a good idea to use separate cathode resistors and capacitors on the odd occasions where they had been commoned between the twin triodes.

I will try to take some photos when I can; the "Mega-Bluesy" head is easy to get at, but the "Earp" is rather jammed-in behind my keyboard stand. (I don't play keyboards at all well and to be quite honest, I haven't played guitar in months).

I am currently in the process of resurrecting my Vox AC30. Some years ago, I thought stupidly that it would benefit from having new components (1% metal film resistors - aargh!). Fortunately, I kept all of the old components, so if I take my time, I should be able to work out where the within-tolerance originals came from and those that are out-of-tolerance I will replace with good carbon-composition resistors and NOS or better modern capacitors. I am also planning eventually to install a top-boost circuit which will be reversible and have some refinements such as a Top-Boost/Non-Top-Boost switch and a switch to change the circuit with regard to the controversial Bass control earth connection. This will all involve making a new back-panel with the appropriate aperture for the Top-Boost controls without hacking the original about (you see, I've learned the error of my past ways).

Like you, I have no intention of selling any of my amps, but when I go to the big workshop in the sky, I don't want those who stand to benefit in my will to not get the maximum benefit from a good-as-new AC30.

Colin.