View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2019, 3:23 pm   #4
ricard
Octode

Default Re: Grundig TK920 3D Exploding Caps

Those 100 ohm + .2 µF combos are for noise/arc protection, so the wattage is not critical as there is not a lot of current flowing through them, Half a watt to be on the safe side or so I would think.

Regarding the motor run capacitor combo, yes, the different speeds would seem to require different capacitances. I would guess it's 3.5 µF for one speed and 4.5 µF for the other (i.e. 3.5 + 1 µF in parallel), but I haven't bothered to actually decipher the switching arrangement.

It's not critical that the capacitors are right beside the motor, so you could put them in other locations, depending on how original you want the machine to appear. Have you considered stuffing the old can with modern-day 3.5 and 1 µF caps, which might fit given that modern capacitors have a higher capacitance-to-volume ratio? I would guess that the combination would be tricky to find today.

Nice to see what the TK920 looks like inside by the way. Very similar to the TK819 which was one of the first machines I dived into as a pre-teen (older style of case and missing the thumbwheel controls).

Hm, I should check my junk box, as my original TK819 was taken to bits a long time ago, and a second one is in a partly working state but awaiting restoration. Then again, it would probably be the best to get new capacitors for this rather arduous task.