View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2019, 1:46 am   #13
KesterLester
Triode

Default Re: Just some pics of my new (vintage) mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
On the issue of inbound SMS; texts to geographic
You could apply credit to the Sipgate account and use it to make the second leg of the call to the mobile, but there are much cheaper alternatives we can discuss.

I'd be more than happy to help configuring this with you.
Thank you for the offer!

I don't know what it is with me, but I seem to get a mental block every time I try to understand things like Asterisk and how PBX systems work. I've tried to understand them a few times, but each time I get lost. This is despite being a person who gets his home phone service comes from a commercial voip provider https://www.voipfone.co.uk. Though I am happy that my [admittedly very small] monthly payments to voipfone support a small business (especially given that their service works and I don't have to think about system maintenance, etc) I've always had a nagging suspicion that if only I properly understood how incoming and outgoing connections to the trunk network are made from IP based systems, then I'd end up enjoying a phone system that suited my exact needs, rather than one which only approximately does so.

I agree that a text-to-speech SMS reception system would be more practical for anyone who wanted this system as a primary means of communication.

I think I will see if I can get the morse version working first, though, as it could be more "unusual". I suppose I could arrange some kind of ring-back-by-voice system, though, since (though I have not used it yet) I believe the SIM800L chip I am using has access to the internet over GPRS. E.g., if calls were routed to this mobile via a RPi-based PBX system of some kind, then if the mobile gets a text I mis-hear, or don't want to hear by morse, then I could in principle dial a special "code" from the mobile that would send a GPRS message to the RPi that would instruct it to re-send the last SMS back as a text-to-speech sound message.

Hmm. Yes, I agree there are lots of interesting possibilities in the directions you mention.

But I must finish the kitchen first or will get it trouble ...