View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2021, 5:24 pm   #28
DonaldStott
Octode

Default Re: Sprint and KiCad PCB CAD software impressions please?

As part of a Project to design and build a 300Hz strobe to help with adjusting my turntable(s) speed of rotation I appreciated that the end point would be a PCB that I could hopefully send off for manufacture. My circuit diagram had evolved over time as my Breadboard prototype grew in scale and complexity when more stages were added. I started off with the trusty pencil and paper but quickly moved to using Microsoft Paint. This allowed the use of different coloured lines for my connections and made it easier for me to follow the signal paths. I realised that at some point I would need to convert the circuit diagram to a PCB but my manual skills in that area were (are?) woefully lacking. So I had a go at using Eagle software to create a schematic from my circuit diagram and after much wailing and gnashing of teeth I finally created one.

Next stage was to use the Generate/Switch to Board command which (allegedly) converts the schematic to a PCB layout - at this stage the PCB layout shows a jumble of components and a tangle of spaghetti! It's possible to move everything, components and connections, and to resize the board (and much else) but I really didn't have the staying power for that! I had hoped that my "stubborn genes" would have kicked in at some point and so I persevered! Although I have a background in evaluating and using software in my job on a daily basis (now Retired) I really did struggle with Eagle for some time and asked myself why is it so difficult to use? I wasn't expecting the software to perform any magic tricks, I never do, but I didn't anticipate the tangle of spaghetti and components all piled on top of one another. Several unsuccessful attempts to untangle everything led me to put the Project on hold for several months.

Fortunately Forum member David G4EBT stepped in and created a PCB layout from my circuit diagram and even manufactured a couple of boards for me using traditional methods. Extremely generous and saved any more wailing and gnashing of teeth on my part!

Roll the clock forward about six months and I decided to have another go ("stubborn genes"?) but this time with the help of Forum member Terry_VK5TM (based in Tintinara, South Australia) who persuaded me to switch to using Sprint Layout software. Much easier to use than Eagle and with some excellent online tuition, advice and guidance from Terry, including some homework on occasion, I finally managed to create a PCB layout based on David's circuit diagram. Version 6 of the Sprint Layout software allows you to easily Export the required Gerber files which you then zip up and forward on for fabrication - another vote here for JLCPCB in Hong Kong.

I found Sprint Layout very intuitive and it allows you to import a BMP image of any drawing and basically trace over this adding tacks, pads and components. Adjusting the board size, editing the layout, changing the grid size and adding components from the extensive libraries was fairly straightforward although my online Tutor i.e. Terry_VK5TM was much more useful than any user manual!

A really useful function in Sprint Layout (for me) is Photoview which allows you to visualise both the track side and component side of your PCB, along with the silk screen layer, before Exporting your Gerber files. As someone that often gets their layer mirrors and x-rays confused this function is indispensable!

As with any new software it takes practice to get up to speed and it does prove beneficial if you have a circuit diagram of your own to work on. There are probably lots of bells and whistles that I don't know about and haven't used but they will be there if and when the time comes. Meantime I'm content to work with only those I need to create the relatively simple single layer PCBs for my Projects.

A bit of a ramble so apologies but it's Sprint Layout that gets my vote.