View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2021, 9:49 am   #27
Scimitar
Heptode

Default Re: Sprint and KiCad PCB CAD software impressions please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 oldjohn View Post
I have tried some of the free PCB drawing sites with not much success, yes it is a steep learning curve. My understanding is to get a Gerber File output I would have to join up with a joining fee?, and would I loose work already done? I would only be making maybe one design a year as a hobby.

John.

I went through the same steps! I listened to the guidance of others and tried all the recommended packages, but found them all unintuitive. I have a rule that if I can't even do basic designs without recourse to a manual, then it is poor software. That seemed to apply to everything I tried. OK Kicad has good support, but I just want to get on with it, rather than wait for nanny to hold my hand.

Then I found EasyEDA from JLPCB. It allows Gerber and even 1:1 artwork output so there is no need to have professional boards made by them if you prefer to do it at home. It it largely intuitive and has all the functions needed including 3D display of the finished and fully populated board. That is so useful in fine tuning component and ident positions. It's not perfect, far from it but it does the job for me and at the press of a button, JLPCB receive my design for production.