View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2012, 2:40 pm   #24
greenstar
Octode

Default Re: Valves at BVWS auctions available for "all" members

David, and taking on board what Alan says, and it was an excellent auction that day, this is not strictly true.

I have some experience at buying, for example, at local auctions - the tip people have one in Lutterworth. Dealers have outlets, and so can bid against ordinary herberts who would never make a profit with the usual channels. Eg, on Leicester market (Wednesdays) there is a mini antique stall selling at prices I would never contemplate buying. Similarly at said auction prices are high enough to make reselling a lousy option.
Someone who is set up will have a regular stall or shop which commands more and of course has more overheads.
The problem is there are forever more folk after less stuff, and this is the nature of the vintage business. The organisers of such auctions are happy, but there aren't many bargains.

To have an event that's members only, with the explicit condition of no reselling, other than of sharing lots, for example, seems a great idea, and I thought that was the situation. That does appear impossible to police - and it wouldn't be pleasant to finger dealers and block their bidding.

Alan, yes, many of the stalls sold at very good prices, and can't be makiing much over petrol - I did appreciate that.

Perhaps if I ever have a bit more cash to spend I will feel differently. Is this sour grapes? Power to the elbows of those on this site who offer goods at very fair prices, especially for the benefit of BVWS.