View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2019, 7:30 am   #59
G4YVM David
Heptode

Default Re: 1970 UFO TV prog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus Diode View Post
I'm very bored with the earlier puppet shows nowadays, nothing wrong with them but like The Beatles' Sgt Pepper LP I've seen/heard them far too often to wish to see them again.

UFO is an exception, some terrific episodes, notably the last few many ITV regions relegated to late night viewing as they were considered to be too adult for an earlier audience.

Witness the other stories such as, 'Confetti Check A-OK' about Straker's marriage and its subsequent breakdown and its follow up, 'A Question of Priorities. Heavy going stuff.
Coincidentally I watched this episode (Priorities) last night. It's clunky as usual (though good) but a pretty heavy story. Makes me wonder now, all these years later, just who UFO was aimed at. It certainly isn't a kids programme at all...

If I was a studio looking for an 'on trend' new series I might do a double take at this UFO stuff. But I wouldn't touch the UFO models...they are perfect.

Amusingly in this episode George Sewell claims the alien, using a colourful plastic assembly kit and a perspex antenna a foot high, is transmitting a signal of "fifteen hundred megawatts". Health implications aside, as a radio amateur i want that technology. Dear old George of course, luvvy that he was, hadn't a clue, so kept a straight face.

Brilliant.