View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2020, 5:01 am   #3
jascha
Hexode

Smile Re: Studer / Revox etc BiPolar PROMS! Question and concerns!

That’s excellent and thanks for the technical explanation. Usb eprom programmers are infact easily available and I recently bought a TL866 II plus programmer not only to reprogram the Eproms in the A807 but also to test common type 74 LS and HC chips after my machine developed a fault and a headache to fix the problem (due to a short caused whilst working on it).

An adapter might not be too difficult to design as long as each pin corresponds to each other on both chips ( pin 1 to pin 1 and so on). Programming an eprom from a prom file will need an expert like you to come up with a conversion file I would imagine. Would it be something you would look at if I received the backup files for these prom ICs? Eproms are easily available and as long as they can physically fit in the space provided on the boards this really could be a solution for the future!
The question remains as to why Willi Studer decided to design the electronics for so many machines using this technology and not eproms straightaway?
Thanks Ricard