Old 10th Jan 2020, 11:50 pm   #5
Robsradio
Heptode

Default Re: A tale of two clocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by beery View Post
Hi all,
here is part 2...

Remember that one of my Gran's electric clocks had been thown away. Well I managed to find an identical one. It has flakey varnish and is a bit bashed up, but it has an earlier more reliable mechanism which has not had much use. I might try to find a nicer example one day, but as a clock was needed in a hurry I simply lightly lubricated the motor, fitted a new flex and presssed it into service.

Actually with the clock on the mantelpeice you can't really see how nasty the woodwork is when you are sitting on the sofa.

One thing I noticed about both clocks is that the plastic covers of the workings seem to be made of styrene and they seem to react with the plasticiser of the electrical flex.

Err, that's it really.

Cheers
Andy
Great to see Smiths Sectrics in use 'in the wild' it makes me feel more comfortable running these old timepieces
I have seen a lot of clocks from these times suffering from the plasticiser burns, many people think the wire has overheated!
Keep them going and keep a look out for the later movement, unused clocks do still turn up occasionally.

Rob