View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2020, 9:52 pm   #1554
Chris55000
Nonode

Default Re: The "Sussex" Homebrew Valve Tester.

Hi!

Altho' I'm still trying to work out what size and shape of case to build my new Sussex V.T. in, one thing I can definitely suggest to others is wiring!

For wiring the valve holder tags together in parallel, I recommend two lengths together of 1/0.6 mm single–core connecting wire, i.e., two pieces of wire connecting tag 1 to tag 1 etc.

You can buy 11 colour packs of 1/0.6 and one 5m pack of 11 colours will cover all the inter–valve holder wiring, and I suggest identification as per the standard colour code, pins 1 brown, pins 2 red, pins 3 orange, and so on!

For wiring between the switches, valve holders, PCBs, displays, etc., I recommend 5m of 18 core Dec Stan 61 – 12 cable, size designation "16–2–18C" – this is 0.5mm² cable rated 3A core at 1000VDC/600V RMS a.c., 18 cores – this will give you ten standard Electronics colours, plus pink & turquoise (aqua) and six tracer colours – this can be bought in 5m lengths!

Unfortunately I've found Ed Dinning isn't consistent with wire sizes, types and colours with his transformers, and I strongly advise the leads from each secondary of the Sussex's Mains Transformer are separately enclosed in p.v.c. sleeving – I've bought three transformers from him and some of them have very thin connecting wire!

Chris Williams

PS!

I will produce suggested circuit and wiring diagrams for Martin's PCBs during the next month when I can afford a length of 16–2–18C cable!

For connecting the Meter Displays I recommend a kit of XH connectors and contacts is bought in order to use better quality connecting wire than the odd yakky bits the Chinese supply with the meters!

Chris Williams