View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2017, 9:05 am   #33
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Cartridge's Price!

I think those numbers are resistivity relative to copper. Conductivity would be the reciprocal of those values.

There must be directional silver as well. Some of the most expensive directional hifi 'interconnects' claim to use silver conductors.

I've only got experience of the ordinary, isotropic forms of silver and copper. The aircraft and defence industry cannot afford the prices of super-duper cables and has to make do with the ordinary stuff. From my experience with the ordinary stuff, resistivity in wires leads to attenuation of the signal and some high frequency roll-off. These effects seem to be entirely linear over the >200dB range of levels that I've used RF cables over, and time-invariant. The differences described by those who can afford such wondrous wires never mention that the sound via the mundane stuff was simply quieter. No, they talk of changes of pace and rhythm. Given that the expensive cables, fitted the right way round get it right, then we can deduce that ordinary copper cables must suffer from severe time warping.

I don't see this as a problem, this looks like the key discovery which may lead to the design of the first time machine!

David