Old 15th Jun 2021, 12:05 pm   #18
Petedox
Pentode

Default Re: Quad II Transformer woes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJosef View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
As Quad recently reprised the Quad II, do they have any output transformers in stock as spares? Won't be cheap but would be the real thing ...
The last time I was in touch - several years ago now - they could supply replacement output transformers, and they were reckoned to be made to the drawings for the original Quad IIs (I don't know if that's the case for the re-released 'Classic'). The story goes that they were then being sourced from a Swiss company who had been persuaded to make them by Manfred Stein at Quad Musikwiedergabe in Germany. To say that they were 'not cheap' would be an understatement. And they were supplied, I think, painted grey but not very closely colour-matched to the original.

Cheers,

GJ
Thanks GJ, as usual your comments are interesting and informative.

I have another set of II's in very good original condition, that I will leave untouched. The previous (now departed) owner only ever trusted Quad to fix them, and consequently they have service stickers inside.

In 2018 IAG replaced the OP TX, and yes the colour matching is poor (see pic), so I suspect this may be one of the transformers you allude to. Unfortunately I have no idea of what the cost would have been, but cost would not have been an issue to the previous owner.

So this has solved a little mystery for me.

Back to the original post: The transformers are in transit to Mike to be rewound back to original low impedance spec, so hopefully problem solved and I can get on and finish the project!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Quad OPTX.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	235925