Thread: Maplin stores
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2018, 12:42 am   #263
Grubhead
Heptode

Default Re: Maplin stores

The last Maplins I went to was the one at Drakehouse Retail Park Sheffield. The staff were on me as soon as I went in, like they were in fear of shoplifters. No chance of just looking around for something, which is how a shop gets most of it's trade. If you went into a Supermarket and a staff member straight away came up and ask you want you want. I you said a loaf of bread, they would then take you to the bread isle and then checkout, they would soon loose money. For they know that you go in for a loaf and come out with 5 more items. That's why they move them around.
I would agree on the store locations. That one was in a retail park, so required car drivers. That will reduce them amount of young people "traffic" to the store. So fewer kids wanting bits for the phone or playstation!
A better location would have been inside Crystal Peaks. Getting car, bus and tram users.

Last time I used Maplin was on-line. I am sorry to say this, but unless you can't deliver it, then having a shop is a waste of time.
The only shops that will do well are "meat" "clothes" and "diy". None of which are good on-line. There are probably others. But most of the electronic trade can be done on-line.
Maplin I will say had a good website and an easy payment system, plus fast delivery.