View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2020, 10:54 pm   #90
AdrianH
Octode

Default Re: Hope to start an audio amp with CV415/CV4046/TT15

Started to build up the second amp today.
I bought a mains transformer after briefly looking at specs, and I may have gone a bit over the top!

To mount that transformer I need some thicker steel, it weighs a bit, have a GZ34, 5H 200mA choke and a 50 +50 uF cap at 500 Volts to build the power supply. Need to get fuse holders mains socket and a big switch.

I think my challenges will be to decide on how to inter-connect it all plugs and sockets wise, pick the final layout, and to pick it up when finished.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2ndamp.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	215818

I could go for some tone controls and a pre amp build later, buy one of the Chinese, valved pre-amps from Ebay, but feel I would need to replace the plug top PSU. But I would still have to decide what sources to use with the amp. i.e. CD player, Record deck etc. Or.

Seeing if I can use a HP Thin client, as a Media Player, something that can hold the music and send it out via headphone/line out to the amps direct, and control it via a web page.

Up to now I have tried Volumio with success, Linux mpd and failed and looked at Linux gnump3d, but that seems to have stopped development in 2007.

I am not after a Media Server as I do not wish to have it streaming mp3's across the home network to other devices. All just ideas for now.

Perhaps some more knowledgable people here could suggest a simple media player that is simple to install (Linux Ubuntu 16.04).

Adrian