View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2013, 12:03 pm   #18
colctl11
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: GEC Reliance Phone

Hello,
I worked for Reliance in the 1970's and early 1980's out of the small Colchester office which came under the Ponders End (Enfield) office.
I first saw an E-link CH100 switch on an install in Sawston (Cambridgeshire).
It was a 100 line single cab unit, I had to fit an old style IDF block in the bottom of the cab to support the old style Paxmaster console for single button "direct access"
Yes, the phones were "three wire" a+b + an earth, the keypad placed diodes in different orders across the line depending on what digit was selected.
The CH100 would also accept "rotary" standard dial phones as well!
Reliance also did an E-link version of the SE50 extensible PAX and that could be arranged to accommodate a maximum of 250 lines. The Finals cabs were standard SE50 (5100) but the group cabs had electronics and uniselectors, the first digit dialled would cause the uniselector to hunt for a free selector in the associated finals cab and the the second two digits (stored) would be dial pulsed out to step the two motion selector. A bit retrograde if you ask me, great if the number called was 211 but waiting for paint to dry if it was 200!! There was also an E-link version of the 25 line uniselector PAX, they were quick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Moss View Post
The company started out as the Reliance Telephone Company in North London, then moved to Wellingborough in the 1960s. It became Reliance Systems dealing in PAX, PABX, Hotel Roomcall systems (it was on "Crossroads" I believe), and CCTV systems.
Yes the roomcall console was on Crossroads, I was told by another engineer that the Crossroads actors used to rehurse in rooms above the Reliance office and some smart salesman flogged them a console! It was probably a duff one.

Paul.