View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2011, 2:06 pm   #5
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Default Re: Oscilloscope Collection / Junky

Richard, welcome to the forum from a fellow 'scope fan.

I don't so much collect them as find that they collect me (rather like stray cats).

The day to day bench 'scope is a Tek 475 of which I am extremely fond. I have a couple of HPs including the 140A which was one of the best they produced.

I have the 1421A timebase and delay generator and the 1402A dual trace amplifier and 1404A four channel amplifier to go with it. All work extremely well and are used when the need arrives. Size and weight is the main problem with this - it's a beast.

I think that the Teks hold the medal for reliability. I did once drop a HP out of the back of a Landrover in the desert wastes of Saudi Arabia and was relieved to discover that it still worked despite having lost several knobs.

I'm not sure that many modern scopes would work after that sort of abuse.

I also have a fondness for Philips 'scopes although I don't have any at the moment. I like the trigger circuits in the Philips.

The thing I dislike with considerable vehemence is any instrument with menu settings. Call me an old has-been if you like but if it hasn't got a panel of knobs and pushbuttons I'm not really interested!