View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2011, 1:24 pm   #3
Leon Crampin
Octode

Default Re: Oscilloscope Collection / Junky

Another Tek fan here. Although I also admire most of the H-P products of the era (my H-P41 is a gem) they failed dismally with 'scopes and never got anywhere near the standards achieved by Tek, either in performance or reliability.

I've been reading a little about the story of H-P and I'm astonished that they carried on trying to make 'scopes when they were so obviously outclassed - people should stick to what they are good at.

It's a great shame the H-P consumer grade equipment sold now is such utter junk. Coupled with the sharp practices of the sale of consumables such as printer cartridges, they should be ashamed of themselves. The founders would not have approved - see the company objectives of the time:

"The success and prosperity of our company will be assured only if we offer our customers superior products that fill real needs and provide lasting value and that are supported by a wide variety of useful services, both before and after sale."

How very true.

For anyone wanting a base level Tek portable for repair work, the old Tek 453 takes a lot of beating and is fixable without special components. The Tek documentation is the very best in the business.

Leon.