View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2019, 8:53 pm   #10
Wishiknewmore
Hexode

Default Re: N2205 Running slow and wobbly

Well it hasn’t been a good cassette player day

Initially I tried the 47-ohm resistor instead of the motor to eliminate the motor, but the recorder went into “end of tape mode” and cut the power, so put that back on the do later pile! ( I did use switch cleaner on the little preset pot- no change though)

Then I thought I would look at a Radiola N2225 , this one has gooey belts so I started with the motor pulley, and it was all but seized, I did get it to move, but it really wasn’t well, so another back onto the do later pile…

Next out was a more modern N2215, this was gooey belted as well, so that was duly cleaned up, progress was good, but tape wasn’t been taken up, upon investigation, the “take up cog” was missing about 15% of its teeth!.... another on the pile!

Next Radiola RA 3302 (same as Philips EL3302) this was a gooey one too, cleaned up re-belted, cleaned and lubricated, created a 7.5volt supply, fired it up….sounded like Pinkey and Perkey,. Not until I turned the supply down to about 5 volts did it sound anything like reasonable and even then it has a dent in the pinch roller from being left in play position, so I think it’s another for the “pile” !

I don’t think that cassette players are my strongest point …

Philip