View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2019, 11:40 pm   #26
knobtwiddler
Octode

Default Re: What is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveyDipole View Post
Right-clicking download next to Datasheet (jpg) and 'Save Link As' did the trick for me. That's one piece of useful information returned. Thank you for finding and posing that link.

Looks like the company that made the meter movements, Sifam, is still around, although perhaps no longer in the UK.
Sifam famously supplied the meters for the BBC-certified PPM meters that Canford sold. They used to have a good line of MC meters until the firm got sold a few years back. The PPM-spec meters got discontinued (Canford had some NOS when I last looked) and the rest of the range got moved to 'offshore' production. These new meters are sold by Canford with the disclaimer that they do not meet the IEC ballistic spec for a VU meter, I.e. they will flap around and look nice in your piece of hipster audio, but aren't accurate. From my extensive research I can say that there are probably less than a handful of firms worldwide now who are capable of making the kind of meter movements that were commonplace 50 years ago. If anyone cares to disagree with this sentiment I'd be delighted!