View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2019, 9:32 pm   #1
high_vacuum_house
Octode
 
high_vacuum_house's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rugby (home) and all over the country for work
Posts: 1,308
Smile Home made Tefi cartridge slip cases

I have had some success making slip cases for Tefi schallband cartridges.

I have been collecting these cartridges for over a year now and most have come over from Germany. Quite a lot of them are usually missing their slip cases which are there to keep dust out of the playing tape.

I therefore decided to have a go at making one or two to see if they would work. I had not done anything like this since probably primary school days!!. A trip to the Hobbycraft shop in Rugby gave me various colours of card, a scalpel, a cutting mat, various hardness of pencils and some Copydex glue.

I had taken Micrometer readings of the thickness of the card required and I found that 300 GSM card was as near as I could find in Hobbycraft. I think the staff thought I was a bit odd micrometering card !!

A good and undamaged Tefi slip case was chosen and the seam was carefully cut away so that it could be unravelled and marked out. It just fits on an A4 card. The pictures show the basic process. I marked out the edges as well as the fold lines in one. This was with a sharp 5B pencil so that I didn't need to use too much pressure and cause inaccuracies as the cartridge is quite an exacting fit.

Next the card was carefully cut away using a steel rule to ensure all cut lines were perfectly straight and at perfect right angles to each other. Even a millimetre or two out would render the finished slip case near unusable.

To fold the card the steel rule was used again and after clamping the rule exactly over the fold line the fold was as sharp as possible to make the corners both neat looking and sharp as I didn't want any misalignment. You need to push quite hard to create a sharp bend in the card.

Finally after dry assembly a Tefi cartridge was put into the case as a jig to aid the final alignment for gluing the seam. I used Copydex as this has a fine applicator brush in the lid and it is quick drying.

I have been rather impressed with the resultant slip cases and have made a few colours. I will be making more in the future of different colours. At 60p for an A4 sheet of coloured card plus 1/2 hour of time each, I think it is time well spent.

I have also tried to use the scanner and printer to produce a replica Tefi pattern slipcase though so far I have been a little unsuccessful due to the measurement errors generated through the scanner and printer. I am working on this problem, I need a printer which would accept stiff card though. Something my printer objected to working with last night.

This could easily be adapted to recreate any cardboard box.

Christopher Capener
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tefi slip case A.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	192342   Click image for larger version

Name:	tefi slip case B.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	192343   Click image for larger version

Name:	tefi slip case C.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	192344   Click image for larger version

Name:	tefi slip case D.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	192345   Click image for larger version

Name:	tefi slip case E.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	192346  

__________________
A proper radio is one that needs to be moved with a wheelbarrow !!

Last edited by high_vacuum_house; 23rd Oct 2019 at 9:39 pm.
high_vacuum_house is online now