View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2017, 8:56 am   #34
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Magnetic Loop Receiving Aerial (Gary Tempest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Cassidy View Post
That circuit seems very familiar to me. A very good friend of mine repaired his wellbrook loop with a virtually identical set up some years ago. He lives in Kilmarnock and I sincerely hope that his work has been recognised. He is not on this board but is elsewhere.
I'm not sure which circuit you are referring to that 'looks very familiar to you'.

Who are you suggesting 'should recognise the work of your very good friend?' Is his work in the public domain - if not, how would anyone know about it? Presumably you aren't suggesting that Gary Tempest has plagiarised a five-transistor circuit of 'a good friend of yours' and passed it off as his own? I'm assuming therefore that you may mean the simple 2 transistor circuit by the Dutch radio amateur PA1M, (originated by John Hawes, G4UAZ more than 30 years ago), which I referred to at post #24 of a thread entitled 'Shortwave Aerial’ I stated:

Quote:

That's the basic "Simple Active Receive Loop Antenna" design by Dutch radio amateur PA1M, which inspired Gary to develop his own design using five 2N5109 transistors.

Unquote.

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/s...=136486&page=2
In the absence of a response or further clarification, with the help on another forum member, I think this mystery has been solved. There can't be many in Kilmarnock with a duff Wellbrook loop 'in need of repair some years ago' but someone who is not on this forum but is active 'elsewhere' wrote this:

Quote:

8-<

Well this is not so much a home-brew item but a home-brew solution.

Way back in 2006 I bought a Wellbrook ALA1530 Loop aerial. The loop was a godsend in my noisy area, I could receive stations that it was impossible to hear on a long wire or active rod aerial (Sony AN1)

My only gripe was the output wasn't that high, a low performance radio wasn't ideal. Wellbrook though redesigned the amp later on for higher output. I got about 5 years out of the loop then it went intermittent with it cutting off if it was breezy. I discovered that the amp unit that is a plastic unit was cracked and this had compromised the loop that is a composition of alloy & ferrite, the ferrite was cracked too. The loop was then withdrawn from use.

I then discovered this circuit on the net:

8-<

End quote.

That circuit is in fact the widely circulated PA1M two-transistor design that first appeared in Technical Topics" column of the June 1986 edition of "RadCom", posted earlier in this thread, so it did not originate in Kilmarnock. Indeed, the poster himself claimed no credit for it and made it clear that 'it was not a 'homebrew item', but a 'homebrew solution' . However, given that Gary Tempest is not on this forum but is 'elsewhere', as his design unfolded, both he, the person from Kilmarnock and others discussed the design developments in an open forum.

Hopefully, this will allay any subjective and mistaken lip-jerk reactions that Gary may be passing off someone else's design as his own.

All's well that ends well.