View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2017, 4:40 pm   #23
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Magnetic Loop Receiving Aerial (Gary Tempest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Cassidy View Post
That circuit seems very familiar to me. A very good friend of mine repaired his wellbrook loop with a virtually identical set up some years ago. He lives in Kilmarnock and I sincerely hope that his work has been recognised. He is not on this board but is elsewhere.
I'm not sure which circuit you are referring to that 'looks very familiar to you'.

Who are you suggesting 'should recognise the work of your very good friend?' Is his work in the public domain - if not, how would anyone know about it? Presumably you aren't suggesting that Gary Tempest has plagiarised a five-transistor circuit of 'a good friend of yours' and passed it off as his own? I'm assuming therefore that you may mean the simple 2 transistor circuit by the Dutch radio amateur PA1M, (originated by John Hawes, G4UAZ more than 30 years ago), which I referred to at post #24 of a thread entitled 'Shortwave Aerial’ I stated:

Quote:

That's the basic "Simple Active Receive Loop Antenna" design by Dutch radio amateur PA1M, which inspired Gary to develop his own design using five 2N5109 transistors.

Unquote.

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/s...=136486&page=2

In his Autumn 2016 Bulletin article Gary included that basic 2-transistor circuit, which he credited to PA1M and gave the link at which it could be found:

http://www.pa1m.nl/pa1m/simple-active-receive-loop/

You will see that PA1M states: "The schematic above is a look-alike from the 1984 design of John G8CXQ (G4UAZ)".

Also, at the link below, 'A Wideband Active Loop Receiving Antenna' by Des, M0AYF you will see this statement and acknowledgement:

“HF active receiving loop antenna” by John Hawes, G4UAZ (now G8CQX). Reproduced here from the "Technical Topics" column of the June 1986 edition of "RadCom" with full permission of the RSGB subject to the inclusion of the following copyright statement:

Copyright © RSGB. All rights reserved. For personal use only. Used here with permission.

http://www.qsl.net/m0ayf/active-loop...uit_diagram_is

So all in all, that 2-transistor design, now over 30 years old, has been widely circulated and credited, originally to John Hawes, G4UAZ. I've attached again the copy of the five-transistor circuit which Gary developed, which featured in the Autumn 2016 Bulletin article, along with that of PA1M which appeared on the same page and credited to PA1M. In his nine-page article, Gary fully outlined the research, development, design concepts, tests and construction of his project.

To clear up any misunderstandings that might arise, I'd appreciate clarification as to which circuit 'looks familiar to you'. Hopefully, not the one that Gary designed. You say that your friend is 'not on this board' but is elsewhere'. Neither is Gary Tempest, but he does read threads as a guest and I think he might appreciate a reassurance that no-one is 'pointing a finger at him', and come to that, so would I.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Circuit & parts list.jpg
Views:	687
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	144428