View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2017, 10:11 pm   #177
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: All about CB radio

Damo, the President may be an original Japanese made Uniden, if it's old enough, and if so, automatically a decent radio. I don't know them well myself.

I'm not a great fan of the M588 as it has one of my least favourite Cybernet chassis (059) in it, mainly due to it having fairly poor FM TX audio as built. As Techman mentioned, though, there is a workaround for that.

Is your location in Lancashire anywhere near Blackpool?

The Blackpool amateur radio rally (At the 'Norbreck Castle' hotel) is coming up in about three weeks (April 9th 2017)- it would be rare not to see a few dilapidated CB radios (and some decent ones) for sale there. The junk (good for harvesting spares from) can usually be found on the stalls and sometimes in cardboard boxes on the floor - radios in better condition tend to be offered in the 'bring and buy' section, although their presence in the bring and buy is no absolute guarantee that they work any better than the ones in the boxes on the floor. If you buy anything there, you have to be prepared for the possibility that you might end up having to fix it, but you seem to enjoy that possibility.